With the post-covid opportunity to continue working remotely at least part of the time, having a dedicated home office has become a necessity. A simple desk and chair won’t cut it. Your home office should be comfortable and inspiring, so you can be productive. Here are tips to help you design a home office that blends style and optimal functionality:
- Choose a desk and chair that match your style: Consider your home decor and the nature of your work to find the perfect fit. And, of course, make sure the chair is comfortable even after working long hours and the desk offers enough space for all of your work items. In other words, compact, which many people seek because it’s in the home, might not cut it.
- Prioritize good lighting: Adequate lighting is crucial for productivity. If natural light is limited, invest in a lamp that matches your style while shining enough light on your workspace to keep you going. More importantly are the bulbs the lamp will take. Since the best lighting for work is natural, you want your bulbs to emit a shade that resembles daylight, such as a cool blue or cool white.
- Incorporate storage solutions: A well-organized workspace is essential for efficiency. Shelves, bookcases, file cabinets, and storage units can help you keep all of your work essentials neatly arranged. What is more, you can incorporate distinctive baskets and organizers to also help you stay organized while giving your space a unique flair.
- Add personal touches: A visually appealing workspace makes it feel more welcoming, helps you stay focused, and enhances your motivation, so customize your home office with artwork, plants, and even some fun decorative accessories that inspire you and reflect your personality.
- Keep it organized and tidy: Be sure to use organizers to keep your supplies in order, file your documents, and keep your desk clutter-free. Pro tip: Be sure to schedule in some decluttering and organizing time every few weeks or every month. While non-billable, this often-overlooked step can improve your productivity beyond your imagination.
By following these simple tips, you can create a home office that combines your style with the functionality you need, enhancing your remote work experience. Questions? My team at Coco Design & Build can point you in the right direction. As a full-service home design firm, we love working with clients in need of customized new rooms. Feel free to contact us today.
By Nicole Colin, Coco Design & Build Co.